Florida State held its pro day Tuesday, and things pretty much were a carryover from the NFL Scouting Combine with a few bright spots.
Here is a quick rundown on what happened.
• The guys who didn’t attend the combine did relatively well, and the one who did enough to get a training camp invitation was Ryan Green. He was clocked as fast as 4.32 seconds in the 40 and looked good in the position drills.
• One of the major head-scratchers remains Jalen Wilkerson’s decision to declare for the draft; he was not invited to the combine. I talked with a few scouts who felt that had he stayed in school and put more on film, he would’ve received interest next year. He had 19 tackles and six tackles for loss as a third-year sophomore in 2017. Still, if scouts are saying that, maybe he has a shot. Letroy Guion is an example of a former FSU player who didn’t have much film who made it in the NFL.
• Josh Sweat continued to do well. He did mostly on-field drills and looked good with his change of direction. His knee seems to be holding up well. A lot of guys walked out impressed, but a question was why the brace was needed for so long.
• Derwin James had some NFL types a bit peeved because all he did was the 20- and 60-yard shuttles. He did no on-field drills despite being the main attraction. Many team sent multiple people to see him again. Personnel from the Bucs, Bears and Giants seemed especially frustrated. James is considered a first-round lock, and that likely played into his thinking not to do much. But NC State defensive end Bradley Chubb also is a first-round lock, and he did on on-field drills at NCSU’s pro day.
• I saw where someone said Tarvarus McFadden did well. Well, I’m not sure that person attended the same pro day I did. His 40 time was no faster than 4.58 – some had him in the 4.6’s – and he didn’t look that much improved from the combine.
• Auden Tate has to hope NFL decision-makers are impressed with his tape. He did not impress at the combine and he did not run well Tuesday.
Article Originally Appeared on Gridiron Now: http://gridironnow.com/florida-state-pro-day-rundown/